Whenever we talk about food items which are very healthy and should be consumed by all, almonds are the first to come to our mind and most of us believe so also. It is normally recommended that young babies and children should be given a paste of a few pieces of almonds soaked overnight in water. It surely means that any food which is useful to growing kids must be good for grownups also in building and maintenance of their health.
Now natural question will be why are almonds so special?
Almonds as nutritive and tonic are used all over the world and considered good against mental exhaustion and fatigue. Their use keeps the nervous and respiratory organs moist and keeps them healthy. Healthy sex life is a sign of good health and almonds are useful as sex stimulant; they increase formation of semen (a life supporting element) and are aphrodisiac. In addition almonds produce softness in throat and chest and assist in elimination of phlegm. They are considered good in for addition of good fat and good for eye sight. They are useful for dry cough and irritation of urinary bladder. Almond oil (BADAM ROGUN) is also good against constipation.
What are the nutritional components of almonds?
The almonds contain about 26% carbohydrates (12% dietary fiber, 6.3% sugars, 0.7% starch and the rest miscellaneous carbohydrates), and may therefore be made into flour for cakes and cookies (biscuits) for low-carbohydrate diets.
Almonds are a rich source of vitamin (26 mg per 100 g) E, a vitamin useful for eye sight and reproduction. About 20 percent of raw almond is HIGH QUALITY PROTEIN, a third of which are essential amino acids. They are also rich in dietary fiber, B vitamins, essential minerals and MONOUNSATURATED FAT, one of the two fats which potentially may lower LDL cholesterol. Almond flour is very desirable for use in cake and bread recipes by people on carbohydrate-restricted diets.
Typical of nuts and seeds, almonds also contain phytosterols, associated with cholesterol-lowering properties.
We enlighten you with a few…
- Did you know, almonds provide you with brain power? They contain many essential nutrients, which can actually help you improve the way you think!
- They are great for the skin. If you add almond oil or almond milk to your skincare regime, it will make your skin softer, more supple and flawless. You can also massage almond oil into your skin.
- Almonds contain minerals like potassium, folic acid, protein, mono-saturated fats and vitamin E. Hence eating them can significantly reduce your chances of heart diseases.
- If you are in the habit of consuming cups of coffee and energy drinks to get a boost of energy, try eating almonds instead! Riboflavin, copper and manganese in the nuts will give you stamina.
- Like blueberries and pomegranates, almonds are superfoods that can help reduce weight significantly. Drink unsweetened almond milk for faster weight loss.
- Last but not the least, almonds regulate your blood pressure because they are high in potassium and low in sodium. They also help in keeping your cholesterol levels in check.