Omega 3 fatty acids are incredibly important for brain and heart health. All fats are not bad.
Here are Ten benefits of omega 3 fatty acids:
1) Omega 3 fatty acids are good for anxiety and depression . If you are fighting with mood disorders, lethargy and general loss of interest in life.
2) Omega 3 can promote brain health during pregnancy as around 40% of the polyunsaturated fatty acids constitute the brain . It increases intelligence , communication skills , decreased risk of ADHD, autism and cerebral palsy.
3) Omega 3s can help improve risk factors for heart disease as good fat sources like salmon , Mackerel
4) Omega 3s improve triglycerides , high blood pressure, good HDL cholesterol , blood clots , inflammation
5) Fish oils are said to help people with multiple sclerosis due to its protective effects on brain and nervous system
6) Fish oils on a low fat diet may reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.
7) Fish oils during pregnancy may reduce postpartum depression . Eating fish with a high level of omega 3 two or three times a week may be beneficial.
8) Adequately dietary consumption of DHA protects people from age related vision loss.
9) People with epilepsy could have fewer seizures if they consumed low doses of omega 3 fish oil every day
10) Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil may help reduce risk of psychosis.
Vegetable based alternatives to fish oil for omega 3 include
• Perilla oil
• Chia seeds
• Radish seeds, sprouted raw
• Fresh basil
We know that low iron causes anemia and low calcium causes brittle bones but we don’t think much about low omega 3. Most doctors don’t either.
A lack of omega 3 can cause various symptoms in body.
a) Rough or dry , bumpy skin
b) Small bumps (like chicken skin) on the back of upper arms and legs
c) Dry, dull , brittle hair and dandruff
d) Soft , peeling or brittle nails
e) Excessive thirst
f) Difficulty sleeping
g) Excessive mood swings , depression or anxiety
h) Low frustration tolerance (short fuse) or highly emotional outburst
i) Attention and concentration problems
j) Old adults and middle aged can have joint and cognitive related symptoms
Eating the wrong kind of fat is like putting diesel into a car that runs on gasoline. If you go grocery shopping, choose your fats wisely.